Subject: Re: autoconfiguration question
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: None <Stephen.Ma+netbsd-tech-kern@jtec.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/26/1997 08:32:05
>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

Jason> What benefit does moving it all out into userland give you?  I
Jason> seem to recall that at one point the argument was
Jason> "demand-dial", but seeing as how we handle that even with a
Jason> mostly in-kernel PPP, that argument doesn't wash with me...

The main reason for moving this stuff into user-land is that PPP is
getting somewhat bloaty (there are 7 compression methods already
published as RFCs, plus layer 2 tunneling, plus multilink, plus
encryption, plus LQM - all of these would need code in the kernel for
a mostly kernel mode implementation).