Subject: Re: Dynamic SCSI ids (was: A possible way of handling...)
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/29/1997 12:22:57
> It works quote ok with just about any other OS.

Would you care to propose a method for NetBSD that would fit your
needs?  So far, you have simply referred to other OSes do it
it "quite ok", as you say here.  If you make a specific proposal and
defend it, it's possible that you can convince people to change NetBSD.
This is not the first time that someone's complained about the current
methodology, nor do I expect that this will be the last.

If you know a better way to handle SCSI device assignment, please let us
hear the details.  It must work with:
	multiple scsi controllers/busses
	wide and narrow SCSI
	devices with 0-7 LUNs
and	not require many, many device nodes (i.e., SVRx)

With such a proposal, I would like to hear a concise summary of the pros
and cons of both the current and proposed systems.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com