Subject: Re: genassym.sh([89]) manpage
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@CS.cmu.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/1997 20:14:55
> In article <199701302128.QAA00890@jekyll.piermont.com> you write:
> >
> > > Shouldn't this go into section 9, as it's relevant to building kernels only?
> >
> > No. config and other such tools are section 8. Section 9 is like
> > section 2 or section 3 -- function call documentation. Not program
> > documentation.
>
> But config is a regular userland program that lives in a regualar binary
> directory. This genassym.sh lives in the kernel sources. Giving such a
> program a manpage is a new precedent, as far as I know, so we should
> choose wisely. IMHO, section 9 is more appropriate, though it's still
> not quite right (time for section 10? :->). An alternative would be to
> move genassym.sh to /usr/sbin, maybe with a better name.

I agree.

section 8 manual pages apply to programs installed in /usr/bin,
/usr/sbin, etc.  they _don't_ apply to programs which aren't
'installed' and are used only by the kernel build process.

Maybe section 9 isn't completely appropriate, but it's currently the
best choice.  (That is, unless genassym.sh is installed into
/usr/sbin.  I think that's inappropriate, for a couple of reasons.)

cgd