Subject: Re: Possible new device name
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Christian Kuhtz <kuhtz@ix.netcom.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/21/1997 14:09:51
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 16:12:25 +0100 (MET), Ignatios Souvatzis
<ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> (at least) Amiga raises a different problem...
>
> besides the Amiga native (8520 CIA) par0 at mainbus0, there are also
> some parallel ports for which we don't have any drivers...
>
> - the EPP on the DraCo's multi-io chip
> - two integrated parallel ports on the Ethernet chip used by the
> Ariadne Ethernet board
> - a parallel port on the multiface board (we only support the serial ports
> at the moment)

Is there a reason why can't they all run under pp0, pp1, pp2 etc etc as one
sees fit when building the kernel configuration?

Just because there isn't currently a drive, doesn't mean this piece of
equipment provides a functionality which couldn't be classified and assigned
to a particular functional group.

If you really need to identify what type of chip provides this functionality,
you could always use an ioctl() or something to return that tidbit of info.
Or if you need to find out to what class of parallel port for instance this
device belongs, you could query the same thing.

IMHO, Device names need to function orientied, and not hardware name oriented.

> Don't be too fast with unification of names...

No, but wise and quick. ;-)

Best regards,
--
Christian Kuhtz <ckuhtz@paranet.com>
"Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious." - unknown