Subject: Re: This is my console and this is my other console
To: David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@CS.cmu.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/21/1997 13:05:36
> Some machines have more than one console.  (Pyramid, and, uh, oh yeah,
> Sequent spring to mind)  Typically the 2nd console is connected to
> a modem and when there is a problem you enable the "remote" console,
> Service dials in and assists.  Both ports accept keyboard input and
> output goes to both screens.  Great fun if you have different terminal
> types and use a screen editor!

So, that's a very special case, and one i've never seen on any
workstation...

> The Alpha Multia/UDB has at least two somewhat independant consoles
> when at the firmware level.  (TGA and the 1st rs-232 port.  I haven't
> tried the 2nd rs-232 port as console yet)

And only one can be active at a time, both at the firmware level, and
in NetBSD.  (the second rs-232 port cannot be used as console, FYI.)

NetBSD/alpha automatically picks the same console device that the
firmware was using as its own console device.

cgd