Subject: Re: Sources for NetBSD-current
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/14/1996 10:46:30
On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> 1) Until something other than SUP is used to distribute source, it will be
> painful to maintain multiple trees.  One answer to this might be
> anonymous CVS access.

Not really. Just do a second tree and name it differently.

Having used OpenBSD's anonymous CVS system, I don't know that
anonymous CVS access is such a wonderful thing. It's quite slow
even over a T1; over anything less it's painful. Memory utilisation
seems to have gotten back to normal, but in some versions of CVS
I was seeing the server process grow to 130 MB by file 10,000 of
a full NetBSD checkout. If you want to use it for casual browing
of the source changes, you still have to have an entire tree checked
out. I think it might be better to go the route of FreeBSD and just
make the repository available by sup. It won't take all that much
more disk space locally, and users will have much faster access.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.