Subject: Re: modernizing config
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@MIT.EDU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/19/1996 20:06:58
Charles said:
> Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:
> >
> > While changes for config are up for grabs, can we add a section
> > to support configuring for different levels, or models, of a target
> > platform?  Old config used to support this with the "cpu" keyword.
> > Most ports are now supporting this with ad-hoc options.
>
> What would such a line actually *do*?  How would you propose getting
> it to change the compiler options, for example?  You can already do
> this, to some extent, with make's fancy substitution hacks.

While i don't particularly like the notion of the 'cpu' keyword (i can
think of no real reason for having it around)...

I sort of _do_ like the notion of a 'filesystem' keyword...

(1) it'd be nice to throw away vfs_conf.c completely, and
    generate the contents as necessary.

(2) it'd be nice to have a standard, single entry point for
    configuring each file system, including e.g. doing the right
    thing which each fs's vnode ops vectors, etc.

(1) is nice, because vfs_conf.c really is a bit of historical baggage,
anyway, and

(2) is nice, because it's make LKM'ed file systems look a bit nicer,
at least in my opinion.

cgd