Subject: Re: uipc_socket.c
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/16/1996 02:17:00
Michael Graff writes:
>However, I don't agree that we should allow "bad" packets to be transmitted
>using sendto().  IMHO, if you are going to do this, use BPF directly.

Why?  Do you have any reasons for that?

>Right now, although I have not verified this, any raw-mode socket can
>crash the machine by setting the field ip->ip_len  to be greater than the
>data in the mbuf chain.  This is _wrong_ and will cause a kernel panic.
>IMHO, this is a bug, and should not be allowed...

Correct.  It should not happen that the machine crashes if ip->ip_len
has a bad value.  However, that has nothing to do with the ability to
send packets with bad ip->ip_len values.  The kernel should be fixed
to not panic in that case and not to silently "correct" the value.

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.