Subject: Re: i386 interrupt counters
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/15/1996 03:18:57
	Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu> said:

> 	(1) you still need the ability to add multiple 'intr' counters
> 	    per devices (distinguished with different names), and

> 	(2) if you want to allow vmstat to pretty-print the output (or
> 	    other programs to do more complex manipulation of the
> 	    output), you need do encode some sort of hierarchy.

Agreed.

> I'd like (2), but i think i'd settle for (1) as long as vmstat was
> modified to no longer calculate totals, and instead use v_intr as
> the total interrupt count.

Certainly.
Though i386 ports doesn't handle v_intr correctly, yet. (fix is trivial).

> On a slightly different note, i'd also like the ability to avoid
> associating event counters with devices.

Perhaps old style per-interrupt-line counter and stray interrupt
counter could be integrated with new style counter in this way.
--
soda@sra.co.jp		Software Research Associates, Inc., Japan
(Noriyuki Soda)		   software tools and technology group