Subject: Re: More config changes, for ro source tree and disjoint build trees
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/13/1996 10:11:39
> On 12 Aug 1996 23:05:56 -0400
>  Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org> wrote:
>
>  > To be honest, I would rather see something which allowd you to nearly
>  > build a kernel config file from a running kernel.  I would love to see
>  > some sort of "supported options" list in the kernel itself, with names
>  > and status info.
>
> That's certainly possible to implement.  However, doing so could lead to
> bloat that's not universally useful.
>
> I guess you'd have to make it an option :-)

Actually, it's pretty easy.  Unless i'm mistaken, all you _really_
need to have compiled in (that you don't have now) is the list of
'options' used to compile the kernel.

If you're tricky and you have the kernel namelist around, all the rest
of the stuff (pseudo-devices, devices, parameters) can probably be
calculated from values in the kernel binary...

If you want to do it from a running kernel, it gets a bit harder (you
need to know the initial state of FSTATE_STAR devices, and you need
to know the 'real' names of the pseudo-devices (since you can't look
them up via the namelist), and you need to know how to find the data
in the kernel, but it's still not prohibitively hard.

cgd