Subject: Re: LKM support for many filesystems as well as compat_freebsd
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/13/1996 12:46:40
Excerpts from netbsd: 12-Aug-96 Re: LKM support for many fi.. Wolfgang
Solfrank@kurt.t (1093)

> I'm running such a system for quite some time now.  It uses the
symbols loaded
> by the boot code for use with ddb and supplies an a.out file with zero-sized
> text and data and these symbols as "/kern/kernel", i.e. in the kernfs
> filesystem.

Admirably.
There are 2 points I'm really interested how you managed them:
- DDB "relocates" the symbol name offsets into absolute addresses.
   The tools reading a.out expect offsets. Did you change DDB?
- If additional symbol tables are loaded with LKMs (generally,
  not aligned to pages), how ho you fake one big table? (This must
  be mmap-able for nlist!)
These problems kept me from doing this when I thought about
it some time ago.

best regards
Matthias Drochner