Subject: Re: LKM support for many filesystems as well as compat_freebsd
To: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/12/1996 23:03:47
Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de> writes:

> I remember the you presented this extended interface, but I cannot
> remember any discussion about it. Anybody from core or anybody else
> of the developers out there available for a comment on this interface.

I didn't see it posted originally.  Mail me the message?

> I know you are all busy preparing the release, but I consider support
> for loadable modules, a new revamped vm-handling and support for
> multiprocessor machines the three main topic to work on for 1.3,
> which would better be called 2.0, because of the large internal changes
> involved.

I agree.  That, and bounce buffers for i386 for certain ISA scsi cards.
And ATAPI in the tree.  And general bug fixes.  And...

> What about FreeBSD? I don't know anything about their support
> for LKMs. Just wanted to know the alternatives to see if they are
> good or if they also need improvement.

I looked at their stuff, and didn't like some of the things they were
doing.  Perhaps I didn't understand why they did some things the way they
did, though.  I can't remember.

So, who here is interested in researching these things and helping with
a new spec?

--Michael