Subject: Re: More config changes, for ro source tree and disjoint build trees
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/12/1996 09:05:12
On Sat, 10 Aug 1996 20:18:30 -0400 (EDT)  "Charles M. Hannum" wrote:

> There are some more changes I'd like made to config(8):

While talking about config(8), is it worth thinking about keeping
config(8) in /usr/src/sys somewhere?

When the config file format changes in any way, you can no longer use
/usr/sbin/config to configure a new kernel, and similary you can't
build a kernel from an older src tree if /usr/sbin/config has been
updated to understand a newer config file format.

I'm not sure what the best solution is here.  Ultrix has a
sys/cmds/${ARCH} type of setup, with a symlink for the config(8)
binary in the conf directory back to the cmds directory.  Just use
"./config FOO" and off you go.

We have some boxes around here that don't track -current (firewalls
especially, we like to keep those stable :-), but our faster boxes do.
It's annoying at best not being able to type "config FOO" to compile
older kernels...

Simon.
--
Simon Burge						simonb@telstra.com.au
UNIX Support, CPR Project, Telstra.			+61 3 9634 3974