Subject: Re: Some interesting papers on BSD ...
To: Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/16/1996 11:07:42
> I can't comment on this much more without looking at the documents that
> describe the computation methods or I can talk out of my a$$.  I'll try
> the former.
>
> Please give us a pointer to the IBM Database Document.  While many
> database system issues are fundamentally the same, it would be also
> interesting to see a reference on using the methods in OS
> systems/subsystems.  Are there any such documents?

The IBM book is book two of the three textbooks on database
engineering that IBM published.  I will try to dig out a
reference for it, but that should be sufficient information to
find it.  Dave Hefner, the guy who introduced me to the idea,
is a Microsoft Employee now, and he took his books with him.

The book was available in the bookstores at the University of Utah
and at BYU, as a CS class requirement.

At one time we were getting two orders of magnitude in terms of lock
system transactions over the AT&T Tuxedo product.

The only real documents I know about that describe an OS subsystem
implementation (for a hosted OS) are the NetWare for UNIX Server
design documents.  These were released to a large number of OEM's;
I don't know if this constitutes a "select group" or "publication"
(OEM's are self-selected, so hence the confusion).  Dave is the
guy at Novell who did the design and much of the implementation
for the NWU 4.x lock manager.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org