Subject: Re: sd: MEDIA_LOADED not reset on last close?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/05/1996 13:41:30
> it was my understanding the disklabel should only know how
> to write netbsd disklabels, and, that the kernel should
> know how to interface with what the hardware requires. on
> the sparc port, the kernel knows how to read & write sun
> disklabels, by faking them as netbsd ones, by using certain
> ioctl's. is it possible to use this instead ?
Not really. The netbsd disklabel does not contain all info needed to
write the native labels. Also, the native labeling format is not quite
suitable to move things around while keeping unaffected partitions
in tact - it might even be required to allocate extra diskblocks to store
partition info. Because of this, I decided not to implement writing native
partitioning from the NetBSD kernel.

Leo.