Subject: Obtaining different device behaviour
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/18/1996 09:08:41
Another way for a user level program to signal to the kernel
that it wants different behaviour from a device is to set a
bit in the flags to the open(2) call.  This seems cleaner to me
than cluttering up /dev with ever expanding numbers of device
entries.  To my way of thinking, one physical device should have
one entry in /dev.  If you want the open to behave differently you
pass a flag to open(2).

-Dave