Subject: Re: a mmap'able audio device??
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.rhein.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/04/1996 09:08:14
Hi Brett,

>         I have seen some rumours that say that there is a mmap'able
> audio device available under linux.  This sounds like an interesting
> thing to have in NetBSD.  Does anyone have any plans for this?  Anyone
> know where the code is likely to be?  Any comments about adding such a
> device?

What would the semantics of such an mmap be? E.g., time-warp on seek()?
Maybe virtual time-warp into a buffered version of the input stream? How
to time-warp into the past of an output stream, isn't totally clear to me,
however. I'm only a physicist. :-)

Just mmapping the hardware registers doesn't give us much, IMHO, with
the exception of reduced hardware independence of userland code. But I
might be wrong.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis
	Ignatios Souvatzis