Subject: Re: fdesc
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/28/1996 22:14:29
[ On Tue, February 13, 1996 at 14:11:54 (-0500), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: fdesc
>
> I agree with the basic idea here.  For all that it has problems, fdesc
> for /dev/fd is a whole lot better than making /dev/fd a regular
> directory populated with major-24 special devices.

I hate to revive this topic, but in all the discussion to date I've not
seen any justification for this.  Why do you say that a special virtual
filesystem would be in some way "better" than a regular set of device
files in the standard root filesystem?  To me fdesc appears to be a
nifty excercise but a waste of overhead.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>