Subject: Re: NFS v3 `used file bytes'
To: None <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/27/1996 12:27:20
> I can't test with Solaris at the moment, but it seems that the NetBSD
> side always (erroneously?) assumes that the blocksize of an NFS filesystem
> is 512 bytes. However, Solaris 2.5/SunOS5.5 seems to report the same blocksize
> as it does locally: 8192 bytes (note that 8192/512 is 16..).

This would make sense if the `getattr' reply would contain the number of
blocks (of some specified size) that the file occupies on the remote system.
But the NFSv3 spec says that the field in question (`va_bytes') is just a byte
count. Looks like somebody got block-to-page macros reversed; there's already
a related typo in SunOS 5's <sys/param.h>...

-pk