Subject: Re: fdesc
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/17/1996 13:16:33
> > how about implimenting /dev/{stdin,stdout,stderr,tty} in the fdesc
> > code, but, including it always ?  such that fdesc is now mounted on
> > /dev/fd.
>
> In my opinion, that is a bad idea.  Having any pathnames, like /dev/fd,
> wired into the kernel strikes me as an extremely bad idea.  (Having /
> there seems okay; /sbin/init strikes me as unfortunate but pretty much
> unavoidable - and isn't there a boot flag that says to prompt for
> init's pathname?)

Uh, there's something in <sys/reboot.h> which says "name given for
/etc/init (unused)," but as far as i know (the last time i looked; i
don't think it's changed since):
	(1) nothing sets it, and
	(2) nothing uses it.

Presumably, it was meant to signal that the boot block had passed
init's name to the kernel.  You'll note that it's not even been
thought about in a long time ("/etc/init" 8-).

This would actually have been pretty hard to do with the old 'icode'
way of starting init...  however, with the new way that appeared in
Lite (THANKS, USL!), it should be pretty easy, it's just a matter of
communicating init's name to the kernel's main().

Perhaps a better solution would be to have main() prompt for init's
name, if some flag is set (perhaps even that flag, just renamed...) in
boothowto.  It shouldn't be very hard... and could save a lot of
hassle.  (could also allow the removal of the code that searches for
backup init's... i wouldn't want my backups named like that anyway...
8-)

chris