Subject: Re: fdesc
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@NetBSD.ORG>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/1996 10:10:02

      Considering the problems with /dev/{stdin,stdout,stderr,tty} and the
      fact that fdesc requires the union filesystem to be useful, I propose
      that it be changed to only supply /dev/fd/<filed-descriptor> and be
      mounted on /dev/fd.

   I object (strongly) to simply castrating it.  It's fairly trivial to fix,
   and someone should just do it.

why ?  what is the purpose of it's stdin, stdout, stderr and tty when
these are already provided ?  i do see that they basically the same thing,
but, we've already got them -- shouldn't we be removing one or the other
here.  how about implimenting /dev/{stdin,stdout,stderr,tty} in the fdesc
code, but, including it always ?  such that fdesc is now mounted on /dev/fd.

if someone also does `fix' it, be sure to fix the outstanding pr's that
exist about fdesc's interaction with compress(1)  :-)