Subject: Re: should splaudio be splbio?
To: None <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/1996 17:30:06
> from sys/dev/audio_if.h:
> 	#define splaudio splbio		/* XXX */
> 	#define IPL_AUDIO IPL_BIO	/* XXX */
>
> It strikes me that if you're playing samples from disk, you'd rather not
> have audio stuff block out disk transfers and vice versa.
I've been running with a completely separate splaudio.  It helps
a little, but not much.  I've got patches for introducing the
separate level to the i386 port (and leaving it as it is for the others).

But the really important change to make audio playback actually
work satisfactory is to use continous DMA.  You cannot afford
to take an interrupt to reload the DMA registers.

	-- Lennart