Subject: pcmcia stuff: what's next?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Kohl <jtk@atria.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/05/1996 10:23:33
Various folks have been posting on current-users and port-i386 about
pcmcia support issues.

My understanding of the current state is:
* Stefan Grefen wrote some support code, starting about 2 years ago
* His latest snapshot from July 1995 has been fit into a 1.1 kernel
  source tree at least once (by me), and probably also by others
* I do not recall any i386-specific parts to his work, but I'm not 100% sure
* various NetBSDers have expressed uneasiness with the current
  implementation. My own issues are:
	- fragility in probing: I have seen apparent hangs when some
	  cards are used; I have seen a consistent failure to
	  configure a slot when warm-booting without detaching a card first
	- no card/socket services model
	- no hot swapping support
	- (general issue, not just pcmcia): configuration framework
	  needs adjustment or extensions to handle loaded device
	  drivers/configurations
	- support only for i82365 or clones
	- If ISA configuration model will be changing, how does that
	  affect this work?
	- any multi-platform gotchas waiting in the wings?

I have proposed doing some work to integrate the Linux pcmcia drivers
and user daemons, primarily because I believe they work on most hardware,
they appear to have a good service model.

We should also examine the existing FreeBSD pcmcia work to see if their
work is close enough to what we want.

So, take this as an invitation to chime in on how "we" should proceed.

==John