Subject: Re: Clean bit bits
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/15/1996 11:04:26
>>> So then why all this talk about modifying fsck?  Why not just
>>> modify your rc file to pass the "-f" flag every 10 reboots, but
>>> leave the fsck/kernel source alone?
>> Because we want per-filesystem values for these things.

> How about something similar to newsyslog.conf for file systems?
> Consider the following fsck.conf:

> # FS		reboots	days
> /dev/rsd0a	 *	 15
> /dev/rsd0e	 10	  *
> /dev/rsd1d	 20	 45

> where /etc/rc decides whether to fsck based on the minimum criteria
> between # reboots or time-since-last-fsck.  We could use "* *" (or
> simply not list the FS) to specify no forced periodic check.

That's perhaps a reasonable spec...but I don't see that it's got
anything to do with modifying fsck.  You have to modify fsck, or else
you have to _greatly_ complicate /etc/rc.  Currently, it just runs fsck
with -p and lets fsck iterate over stuff in /etc/fstab.  To implement
this scheme in /etc/rc (as opposed to fsck), you would have to make it
iterate over fstab and fsck.conf in the shell script.  You would also
have to figure out where to keep the counts; remember, the only
filesystem mounted at that point is /, and it's readonly and might
never go read/write.  (If fsck does it, the counts and/or times would
be kept in the superblock, which in a sense is where they belong
anyway.  But - unless you propose to add a separate tool for the
purpose - the rc script has no access to counts in the superblocks.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu