Subject: Re: Proposed new syscalls: pread and pwrite
To: Michael Galassi <nerd@percy.rain.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/05/1995 09:32:10
> The first problem I see is that we have another file system extension
> that cannot be effectively supported by network filesystems and future
> concurrent access filesystems (ie, multiple SCSI initiators on a single
> bus).

Actually, with NFS you always send an offset, so this is actually
*closer* to the NFS way of life.

> Overall, I beleive a new syscall would be the least intrusive way
> of dealing with the new functionality.

Yup.   I don't like the idea of incompatibly changing the behaviour of
readv/writev.   On the other hand, we could make the syscalls look
like this:

int readvo (int d, struct iovec *iov, off_t *offtv, int iovcnt);

And then make readv a subroutine call that passes NULL for offtv.
We'd need to retain the old readv syscall for backwards compatibility
for a while, but we already do that with other BSD constructs.

			       _MelloN_