Subject: Re: bootp
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/05/1995 12:42:25
According to Chris G Demetriou:

>note that in time, the 'swap on' specs should go away, so making them
>pretty is moot.

Not unless you can tell the kernel where to swap on by some other
means (ie it pays attention to the bootparams or whatever).  Sometimes
it is handy to have nfs root and local swap.  The root nfs for
commonality and ease of management and local swap for speed.  We do
this at work on our suns for some CAD machines - the software they run
is a real pig, the users run out of memory with anything less than
200Meg of swap so we normally give them an entire local disk for swap.

"It's fifteen hundred miles to Ankh-Morpork" he said.  "We've got
three hundred and sixty three elephants, fifty carts of forage, the
monsoon's about to break and we're wearing ... we're wearing ... sort
of things, like glass, only dark... dark glass things on our eyes..."
        - Terry Pratchett "Moving Pictures".