Subject: bootp
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/03/1995 12:42:00
I'm thinking of working on a bootp version of nfs_boot.c, but I'd like a
bit of input on the semantics first...

Ideally, what I'd like is to have an nfs_boot.c that understands both
rarp/bootparams _and_ bootp transparently, without having to set some
sort of compile-time option.

Looking at nfs_boot_init(), my initial thought is to attempt a bootp
request after the call to revarpwhoami(), and then panic if _both_ fail.
(Maybe before?)  In any case, if the bootp succeeds, then use it rather
than bootparams to get the server/root/swap/gateway info.

It strikes me as not being a terribly difficult problem to solve, I'd
just like some input on it first.