Subject: Re: NetBSD on PowerPC?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Everett - Sun Parallel Open Systems <everettm@triesta.East.Sun.COM>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/30/1995 09:27:29
> From owner-tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG Thu Mar 30 00:24 EST 1995
> To: tech-kern@netbsd.org
> Newsgroups: netbsd.tech.kern
> From: tsarna@endicor.com (Ty Sarna)
> Subject: Re: NetBSD on PowerPC?

> In article <9503292203.AA10285@wa.abekas.com>,
> George Neville-Neil  <gnn@abekas.com> wrote:
> >
> > 	I'm just wondering if anyone has ported NetBSD to the PowerPC?
> >     I didn't see anything like this on the WWW server.
>
> People keep asking about it but nobody's doing it.  So, I suggest that
> those who want it either do it, or put there money where there mouth is.
> I can't do it myself (no time, can't afford equip yet, not sure I know
> enough to write a pmap, etc.), but I'll offer $100 to the core team to
> either do a port to PReP or to redistribute to someone else who they
> trust to do the work.  If enough other people are willing to do that,
> they can buy a PReP machine (Moto sells a very complete 604 based board
> for $1200 or so -- add ram and SCSI disk and you're set, or even boot
> from the net to begin with.  A very minimal system for use as a target
> for cross development could be built for $1600 or so, less if you can
> use spare parts lying around).
>
> Anyone else willing to do more than talk?

Personally, I was considering the 603+ based laptop that is supposedly
to be released this summer for under $6000 which includes an integral
CDROM drive.

And, of course, Motorola released that it is NOT using the "PReP boot
standard", OpenBoot.  They went a different *better* way.

There goes the market.

-everettm