Subject: Re: /emul/xxx for all/other /sys/compat/xxx?
To: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/07/1995 00:31:30
> This is still how we do it today on the PA, where we use the HP-UX X
> server binary.  It is a lot messier with shared libraries where we have to
> put HP-UX binaries (or symlinks to), e.g. /lib/dld.sl, /lib/libc.sl, into
> our standard directories.  There is also the possibility of name clashes,

This is also the route taken in NetBSD/sparc SunOS compat mode, but I'd really
like to ditch it sooner rather than later. chroot'ing is not really an option
as we'd like to be able to run SunOS programs in a regular environment (cf. I
am currently watching/listening to the space shuttly mbone thing using SunOS
sd,vat,nv).
It all depends on the configurability of the system utilities whether or not
you can kee your regular tree clean.

-pk