Subject: "Required" defines
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: yambo <llucius@mill2.millcomm.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/16/1994 23:12:12
I'm attempting to customize the kernel and have amazing success.  I am
having a couple of problems though and need some advise:

1)  Are any of the COMPAT_ options REQUIRED?  And are they recommended?
    One problem I have noticed is that when you remove COMPAT_43, the system
    doesn't let you login as ROOT!?!?

2)  It appears that INET is required, is this true?  I really don't need
    any networking capability and would like to free up some more
    memory.  (Don't got much to begin with...B-))

    I have tried removing it (and the pdev LOOP) and received several
    errors.  The system still ran but SYSLOGD wouldn't run and I was
    receiving messages stating something about the last message being
    repeated NNNN times, where NNNN varied.

3)  Do the "commands" need to be recompiled if the kernel changes, like
    removing the COMPAT_09 define?

4)  Are all of the defines documented somewhere or should I consider this
    a worthwhile task?

Also I sent some source changes that corrects the setting of the A3000
clock to the netbsd-bugs list, but I wasn't sure if that was the correct
thing to do.  If anyone wants the diffs, I'll provide 'em.

By the way, thanks for NetBSD.  I finally get to see what "Unix" is all
about.  (Now I just gotta get more mem, disk, 68060, ...)

Yambo

The leanest, meanest, fightinest sweet tater on Earth!