Subject: Re: kernel vs boot-program
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/15/1994 23:19:42
> The list should be kept very small for efficiency reasons. The current
> scheme allows 4 tokens: sys, host, machine, and arch. I'm not sure the
> last two will even survive. @sys and @host are the important two.

Completely by coincidence, I just found I wanted this (simple)
functionality. I like the idea of a *small* set of tokens, like
the four above. *DO NOT LOSE @arch* Please...

My problem (which most would consider the wrong solution anyway) was
that I want to have two machines act as anon. ftp servers, and so I
want to share the directories (by NFS - I know this sounds like a
bad idea - just leave me to it), *including* the bin/ directory,
with ls, tar etc in it.

I made up a quick hack:

	#!/bin/sh
	exec $0.`uname -m` $*

but then realised that I need a functional uname as well. ohshit.

I think my "problem" would be solved by a simple symlink of the
type:

bin/	ls -> ls.@arch
	ls.sparc
	ls.i386

Or then we could get really sad and do the SVRx thing, like having
/bin/vax, /bin/sparc, /bin/sun4c etc etc. NO Please. I was joking.

just my $0.02 worth. (I wonder how much money you would have
if you collected all those $0.02 together ? :-)
--
Peter Galbavy				e-mail: P.Galbavy@wonderland.org
Wonderland				  work: peterg@demon.co.uk (soon)

	I like my food, I am what I eat, therefore I like myself