Subject: Re: kernel vs boot-program
To: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/15/1994 08:43:05
> >What's wrong with multiple ./obj.$ARCH links in the source tree?  Works fine
> >for me.  eg:
> >	/usr/src/bin/cat/obj.i386 -> /usr/obj.i386/bin/cat
> >	/usr/src/bin/cat/obj.icm3216 -> /usr/obj.icm3216/bin/cat
>
> perhaps it is time for someone who actually DOES compile out of
> one source tree on multiple platforms to step forward.

You rang ? I used to, until yesterday, use one source tree for the i386 and
sparc ports. I changed, 'cause I *slowly* migrating NFS server services to
the sparc.

> if you are compiling on multiple platforms, you certainly are
> not going to share the same /usr partition. therefore i nfs-mount
> /usr/src off my one machine (i386) onto the other two (sparc, hp300).

Yep. /usr/src is actually an NFS file system on one system, and a link
on the other.

> Each of the machines have seperate /usr/obj directories (or /usr/obj
> is actually a symbolic link to where there is more diskspace available).

Nope. This is where I diverge. I have the same /usr/obj on both systems,
parelleling the /usr/src tree. I think this make my life a little easier
for moving thing around. This is just me.

> note: i don't really care about cross compilers.

note: I do. :)

--
Peter Galbavy				e-mail: P.Galbavy@wonderland.org
Wonderland				  work: peterg@demon.co.uk (soon)

	I like my food, I am what I eat, therefore I like myself