Re: Rollbackto .tgz proposal

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 05:35:42PM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> 1. They introduce inconsistency between ports and versions, this breaks
> upgrade scripts.

Which are trivial to fix.

> 2. Overflowing .iso/.img files on the switched ports is unimportant
> these days as ~everybody installs in a VM or with USB. Buying CDR is
> almost as hard as buying floppies these days.

My experience differs (buying CDRs) and on some machines it is *by far*
the most easy installation method unless you have proper infrastructure
around to netboot (which is quite a barrier for new users).

This is not something I came up with (or even noticed myself), but that
was triggered by user feedback.

I am not happy with performance (time + memory wise) of xz either, especially
not at build time (someone should fix tooo's xz-vs-libpthread issues) myself,
but I don't see a good alternative currently.

Martin