Re: Anyone working on an automated install?

On 28/10/12 12:48, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:03:08PM +0000, Josh Branning wrote:
>> Maybe it's just a case of reading a file, and pre-programming these
>> variables somehow?
>
> Sysinst is the wrong tool for that job.
>
> For a full automated install, the script variant (as Aleksej suggested)
> is the right way to go. You can provide different configuration details
> via the network and configure dhcp to point at different (but mostly
> identical) root file systems for the install script.
>
> For a semi-automatic installation, we will provide parts of sysinst (for
> example the partitioning and disk setup) as a tool by invoking sysinst with
> special parameters. The install script can then use these special sysinst
> invocations to do some parts interactively, but run most of the other
> stuff unattended.

Sounds like a good idea.

Can sysinst already take these parameters, or will this have to be
programmed in by somebody?

I've figured out that the only parts I really want automated, are the
distribution set selection, the section where it asks for where do you
want to install from (eg. CD-ROM, FTP, etc.) and the root shell. The
rest I want to be able to select myself (,that is unless I can find a
way to disable the "Enable installation of binary packages" and "Fetch
and unpack pkgsrc for building from source" options) too.