Subject: Re: UPDATE: various changes on INSTALL and iso generation
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/07/2007 23:59:58
On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 07:51:11PM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
> On Jul 26, 12:24pm, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> }
> } here's an updated patch for my changes on iso generation. Changes since
> } last one:
> } - the "install" iso are genereated in $RELEASEDIR/iso instead of the
> }   per-port directory. If all ports are built using the same $RELEASEDIR
> }   it should end up with a tree that can be uploaded to the ftp server
> }   as-is.
>
>      This is nice since it means that if you make isos using the
> per-port dirs, you don't end with your iso containing a bunch of isos.
>
> } Remaining issues:
> } - enable back iso-image in etc/, only for macppc and mac68k
> } - teach distrib/cdrom about non-emulated boot for x86 (but I consider this
> }   a separate issue for now).
>
>      Can the non-emulated boot method work with multi-boot CDs?

I hope so, I'll work on this now

>      You mentioned before that you thought the non-emulated boot method
> won't work on older machines.  I think that is backwards and I seem to
> recall somebody else saying that as well.  As an example, my laptop
> can't handle the 2.88 MB eltorito image (it stops reading at 1.44 MB),
> but it can boot a Windows XP CD, which I believe uses the non-emulated
> boot method.  If I got this right, then the non-emulated boot method CD
> will actually work better on older systems, although depending on age
> they may require a smaller kernel.

I've actually run into system that couldn't boot a linux CD while the
NetBSD CD booted fine. But it was a very old machine (using a cyrix
166Mhz CPU). I think windows at that time used emulated boot as well.
I think anything Ppro/PII and newer can use non-emulated boot, and I
don't have older hardware with working CD drive to test.

>      Since the floppy image size is no longer a major concern, could
> you take a look at port-i386/22616, please?  The basic gist would be to
> add various *_VERBOSE options to the kernel that you use.

I'll try to have a look

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>