Subject: Re: UPDATE: various changes on INSTALL and iso generation
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/06/2007 19:51:11
On Jul 26, 12:24pm, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
}
} here's an updated patch for my changes on iso generation. Changes since
} last one:
} - the "install" iso are genereated in $RELEASEDIR/iso instead of the
}   per-port directory. If all ports are built using the same $RELEASEDIR
}   it should end up with a tree that can be uploaded to the ftp server
}   as-is.

     This is nice since it means that if you make isos using the
per-port dirs, you don't end with your iso containing a bunch of isos.

} Remaining issues:
} - enable back iso-image in etc/, only for macppc and mac68k
} - teach distrib/cdrom about non-emulated boot for x86 (but I consider this
}   a separate issue for now).

     Can the non-emulated boot method work with multi-boot CDs?

     You mentioned before that you thought the non-emulated boot method
won't work on older machines.  I think that is backwards and I seem to
recall somebody else saying that as well.  As an example, my laptop
can't handle the 2.88 MB eltorito image (it stops reading at 1.44 MB),
but it can boot a Windows XP CD, which I believe uses the non-emulated
boot method.  If I got this right, then the non-emulated boot method CD
will actually work better on older systems, although depending on age
they may require a smaller kernel.

     Since the floppy image size is no longer a major concern, could
you take a look at port-i386/22616, please?  The basic gist would be to
add various *_VERBOSE options to the kernel that you use.

}-- End of excerpt from Manuel Bouyer