Subject: Re: some cdboot nits
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/28/2005 12:28:47
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> It's odd because all the machines I have tested so far worked fine (i.e.,
> jumping to the mbr of the first hard disk after timeout). What's the name
> and version of the BIOS on your machine?

qemu, with no bootable harddisk attached. ;)
I think it should boot the CD by default, just as the ustarfs and on-disk
bootloaders do (i.e. continue to boot the medium that the bootloader came
from).

>> And one more:
>> when pressing _any_ key (e.g. space, x) while it's printing dots, it boots
>> immediately. No chance to select a different kernel or run "ls" like the
>> "normal" i386 bootloader that we use on floppies & harddisks does.
>> Can we get the same behaviour there, possibly with the familiar 5 seconds
>> countdown?
>
> That's an emulation problem. Bochs and QEMU suffer from it, while VMware
> and real machines don't. I don't know why but probably we should modify
> boot(8) to make it work properly with emulators as a workaround.

Ah, is that the same bug that basically doesn't do any countdown when
booting NetBSD from a harddisk in qemu too, skipping the countdown in
effect? At least I can still get into the boot menu on harddisk boots
inside qemu when I'm quick. Fixing this would be very nice!

  - Hubert