Subject: Re: Switching i386/amd64 to native CD-based installation?
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@frontco.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/27/2005 21:19:17
tsarna@frontco.com (Ty Sarna) writes:
> I seem to do floppy installs much more often than cd-rom installs.

I think main thing here is not *getting rid* of floppy installs, but
allowing them to grow past two floppies...

> Now, I think it would be a great thing to improve the cdrom boot process
> and stop using floppy emulation for that, but I think floppy install
> needs to stay a first class citizen for a while longer.

The big issue is this -- until the CDs use direct ISO boot, we can't
conveniently make the floppy installs grow past two floppies. This is
the big problem that junyoung's stuff would fix here.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com