Subject: Re: modload vs. ld/libbfd
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/28/2005 10:21:41
--jXoUnAu9pZeaHebo

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 11:16:22PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
  | On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
  | >modload needs ld, currently.
  | >
  | >I think we should either move /usr/bin/ld and /usr/lib/libbfd.so.6 (as=
 of=20
  | >2.0)
  | >to the base set, or move modload to comp.
  |=20
  | Of course the former seems more useful.
  |=20
  | Reminds me that I had similar trouble last time I wanted to use NIS -=
=20
  | /var/yp/Makefile.yp uses 'make' which is in 'comp'...

Well, it _is_ a Makefile ...

Speaking of which, that Makefile is in severe need of rewriting.
Currently, it's effectively a shell script as it doesn't really
take advantage of make(1)'s timestamp & dependency handling
(because it reimplements timestamp checking using shell rules).
Arguably it could be a shell script.  Or rewritten as a better
Makefile.

I would do the rewrite, but my time & motivation to fixing YP is
low at the moment, since I personally find it a flaky protocol.
E.g, it doesn't (easily) work in chroot cages, unlike hesiod & LDAP.

--jXoUnAu9pZeaHebo

--jXoUnAu9pZeaHebo--