Subject: Re: PR 13533 (there should be a PDF version of the INSTALL notes)
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 05/18/2004 09:26:44
On May 18, 2004, at 8:07 AM, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> Shouldn't the HTML & TXT versions suffice?

They should, but aren't.  The problem, in particular, is macppc.  Due
to the infinite variety of models Apple made and the vastly different
(and conflicting) methods of installing and booting them, the INSTALL
notes are very long and involved.  INSTALL.html is over 350 KB.

Having a nice compact, hyperlinked, easily viewed, easily searched PDF
document would be a big help.  HTML is nice, but the HTML we generate
isn't very happy with the MacOS version of Internet Explorer which is,
alas, the default on most of the older systems we support.

TXT is totally inappropriate for macppc since it doesn't include
hyperlinks to skip over the irrelevant sections and doesn't do much
visually to break up sections.

I'm kinda at a loss as to how to make installation of macppc any easier
from the documentation perspective and a PDF version would be a
moderate improvement.

> Or is the convenience worth the extra space of providing PDF
> for the notes as well?

That would also be nice.

   -- MW