Subject: splitting INSTALL notes
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/22/2003 16:37:01
A while ago I floated the idea of splitting the macppc INSTALL notes by
Open Firmware version and heard no major objections.  I've got some time to
work on it, but need a little hand-holding on figuring out how to set up
the roff code to do this.

I realize that there might be some duplicated code/text.  Of course I want
to keep it to a minimum, but before I get any flames, potential flamers
should try actually installing NetBSD/macppc and suggest a better method
for improving the INSTALL notes.

My thought is to have three sets of files (in each output format), e.g.
INSTALL.html, OF3PREP.html, and OF12PREP.html.  The user reads through
INSTALL.html until they get to the prep and install parts of the
directions.  Then they follow the stuff in the OF-specific file.  Then back
to the sysinst step in the INSTALL.html file.

INSTALL.*
 common/main
 macppc/whatis
 common/contents
 macppc/hardware
 macppc/xfer
 pointer to OF3PREP.* and OF12PREP.*
 common/sysinst
 common/postinstall
 macppc/upgrade
 common/donations
 common/legal.common
 macppc/legal

OF3PREP.* (with r_macppc_of3)
 macppc/prep
 macppc/install

OF12PREP.* (with r_macppc_of12)
 macppc/prep
 macppc/install

Anyone willing to give me a hand with the black magic of convincing roff to
do my bidding?

Thanks,
  -- MW