Subject: Re: Custom sysinst
To: Glen Starchman <glen@enabledtechnology.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/30/2002 10:26:31
On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Glen Starchman wrote:

> I am building a customized sysinst for NetBSD installations on a group of
> machines in a well-defined hardware class. To that end, I have eliminated a
> lot of things like allowing the user to customize their drive geometries,
> etc.

I did the same thing, but making it use default answers for everything
(used dhcp to get IP) and then retrieve sets from local FTP server.

Mine was on floppies not CD.

> In order for this new sysinst to work correctly, I somehow need to integrate
> with the bootable CD that I am burning. At this point, I am lost. How does
> sysinst get called in the boot process? I can assume that it is somehow
> called from the ramdisk, but we all know what they say about using the term
> "assume" ;-)

sysinst can be started from root's .profile.

(I also have made many custom, bootable CDs, but they run getty's and
login -- and don't boot directly to sh.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/