Subject: sshd won't allow access by root
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/27/2002 07:11:56
As mentioned in an earlier message, I tried installing on another
machine in a remote office at the local university.  After installation,
adding sshd according to instructions, I returned home, and tried to
log in remotely.....

And SSH wouldn't let me login as root.

I had to call the U, drive back (20 minutes each way), get somebody to
let me in after hours, install a backup user on wheel, discovering along
the way that the adding users documentation is contradictory and
insufficient.

I understand not allowing telnet login to root on network ports, I agree.
However, SSH is a secure method of login.  There's no added benefit in
having another su user.  That's ancient thinking.

I had intended to use the U machine to compile/test installing and
upgrading NetBSD.  But that appears (according to the documentation) to be
done as root.  Well, I'm not planning on using the keyboard there,
standing up peering at a machine in a rack, or sitting on top of a safe.

In my application, which is managing remote POPs for an ISP, many of
which are several hours drives for my staff, and a 17 hour drive for me,
I need a simple method of installation with remote management.

I don't really want "user" accounts on my headless DHCP/DNS/MRTG servers.
I certainly don't want to have to install them time after time, and train
staff to use them.

Where do I look to correct this egregious sin in NetBSD?
--
William Allen Simpson