Subject: why does install-media .profile force 9600bps?
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 05/23/2002 02:56:04
[...Please CC me on replies, I don't think I'm on the install list...]

I've noticed (by attempting to play with a netbootable install kernel
on an SGI with only a serial console fixed at 38.4kpbs) that many of
the .profile files included on installation media force the baud rate
of the tty being used to install to 9600bps... This probably isn't a
big deal for machines being installed via on-board video, but it's a
royal PITA for machines being installed via serial console.

Is there any reason (other than maybe the "but the previous port did it
this way") this was done?  Should I not meddle with it (in which case we
should at least document this!), should I try and remove it altogether,
or should I just remove it from places that cause us hassle (probably
violates the principle of least surprise, but allows us to leave places
that need it intact).

Thoughts?
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill