Subject: Re: sysinst requires ping return from gateway
To: Cannella, Michael \(ISS Southfield\) <mcannella@iss.net>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/29/2001 01:20:48
"Cannella, Michael (ISS Southfield)" wrote:

>But, my local gateway is outside my control and drops traffic aimed directly
>at it (e.g., icmp).
>
>Since sysinst requires that my local gateway be pingable--and quits the
>install if it isn't--I can't install, _even though I have both internet
>connectivity and DNS resolution._
>
>So I guess this is a suggestion that in a coming version, the sysinst make
>some concession to folks in this situation.
>
>Some ideas:
> - If the gateway doesn't return pings, notify the user and explain "it is
>increasingly common that firewalled gateways do not respond to echo
>requests, or other traffic addressed directly to the gateway. If you know or
>suspect that your gateway behaves this way (or are otherwise sure you have
>internet connectivity and DNS resolution), choose 'Continue'. Otherwise you
>can choose to reconfigure your network settings or abort the installation

Or we could ping the gateway, and then check the arp tables to see if we
got it.  That is enough of a proof that it exists...  ;-)

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==
 == Ponte, Inc.                                    http://www.ponte.com/  ==