Subject: Re: Serial console install.
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/24/2001 10:12:43
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, James Chacon wrote:

> I'm not sure any of this got pulled up to a release branch (i.e. 1.5.2) but
> I enabled serial boot installs for x86 a while back. A snapshot should include
> floppy images with serial boot blocks and a question midway through to ask
> which set of blocks to install on the end machine.

I see it in the latest snapshot. Nice!

You still need to do it the hard way to put the console on COM B,
which is what stp is trying to do, as still another set of floppies
would be a bit much. To that end, I put up a com1 boot floppy
containing "/usr/mdec/biosboot_com1.sym" (and installboot) in the
otherwise empty file system.

CONSDEV_AUTO doesn't seem appropriate for the default installation
either, because I'd hate to have to explain to everyone who wants to
use that how to wire up their "modem ready" pin.

It doesn't get pulled up until someone requests it (natch). I already
have one 1.5.2/i386 box with a serial console, so I'll see about
staging and testing a pull-up for this within the next week or two.

Frederick