Subject: Inappropriate file type or format
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: otaku <otaku@uswestmail.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/21/2001 17:02:50
I am not sure if this is the correct forum in which to ask the following question, but I will give a go at it.

I've been using NetBSD for a few years now. Currently I have NetBSD/i386 1.4 installed and I wish to upgrade to NetBSD 1.5.1. In the past, I have downloaded the updated kern.tgz set, moved my old kernel to netbsd.old, and installed the new kernel in /. I then restart to make sure the kernel runs, and then continue by installing the base.tgz package, et al...

I  have done everything I described above for NetBSD 1.5.1. When booting, though, I get the error "Inappropriate file type or format" when it tries to load wd0a:netbsd. It then will switch over to wd0a:netbsd.old.

It has been quite a while since I installed a new kernel on a NetBSD system, so I may have missed a step or overlooked a small detail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

--
Josh Hope
otaku@uswestmail.net

Get FREE email at http://www.qwestdexmail.com!