Subject: newbie in over his head...
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Ulrik =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sj=F6str=F6m?= <ulriks@mail.bahnhof.se>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/03/2001 03:09:12
Hi
I hope there is someone out there that can help me out with this.

Background:

I'm a Linux and unix newbie. I've got a Yellow Dog Linux system
(basically it's a Red Hat 6.2) running. It's connecting with my ISP
(cable) with DHCP. It's got two network cards. One card with the
dynamically assigned Ip from my provider, 213.something, the other
card 192.168.0.1. between these card it's IPforwarding, to the other
computers, one macintosh and an old compaq. Ip numbering is as
follows:
server 192.168.0.1, macintosh 192.168.0.3, compaq 192.168.0.4.
IPfw/firewalling is subnetted to allow for
192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255.

Problem:

The compac machine does not have a CD drive. I've managed to install
a NIC into it and it seems to connect. What i want to do is to export
the NetBSD 1.4.2 CD mounted on the yellowdog machine as an NFS
directory. This seems to work also. I can get the compaq to boot from
floppy one and two, go through all the stages, select NFS as install
method. But from there...nothing. I keep getting error messages (ne0
timed out) and (no route to host) depending on how i fiddle with the
network. But i cant get it to connect.
Obviously it will not connect via FTP either.

Question:

What does BSD really want when it's asking for hostname, nameserver,
domain and such? My isp's information, i.e "chello.se", or something
else? Do i need to run a DNS server on my local machine? Maybe a
properly configured host table?

I'm soooo lost....))

Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Regards, Ulrik Sj=F6str=F6m, Stockholm.