Subject: Re: New install floppies: No gzip
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/01/2001 23:17:39
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 jchacon@genuity.net wrote:

> The floppies use crunchgen to generate 1 large binary which does different
> actions based on what name it's invoked as.

Yes. I understand this (as indicated with my previous references to
"ramdiskbin.conf" and "list" files).

> gzip/gunzip are on the floppy images.

You are partially correct. gzip and gunzip may be on the macppc, news68k
and newsmips floppies.

This is what it is like under i386 1.5.1_ALPHA:
     25      0 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     wheel            8 Feb  1 09:35
/mnt/usr/bin/gunzip -> /bin/cat
     26      0 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     wheel            8 Feb  1 09:35
/mnt/usr/bin/gzcat -> /bin/cat
     27      0 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     wheel            8 Feb  1 09:35
/mnt/usr/bin/gzip -> /bin/cat

(Please note that I have not checked other versions.)

> >gzip and gunzip aren't really there.
> >
> >The list files for ramdisk-small, ramdisk-tiny and ramdisk-big
> >(1.5.1_ALPHA under i386) all seem to indicate that gzip and gunzip are
> >really "cat".
> >
> >There is a x_gzip -- but I have never used it and it is not included with
> >these disks. Look under /usr/src/distrib/utils/x_gzip. I am not sure --
> >but to use it, you'd need to uncomment the appropriate line in the
> >(desired) ramdiskbin.conf file and then change the "list" to not link
> >gzip/gunzip to cat and to link them to ramdiskbin instead.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/