Subject: Re: New install floppies: No gzip
To: buzz <buzz899@yahoo.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/31/2001 22:12:43
On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, buzz wrote:

> I built new install floppies (make from the
> /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies directory).. however

Which ones?

> when I get through sysinst, after patitioning, etc, it
> can't find gzip/gunzip anywhere... is there something

What is "it"? What can't find gzip/gunzip? When does this happen?
Is there a specific error message?

> special I need to do here? I looked through the
> various list files, and they show both gzip and
> gunzip.. Hrm...

gzip and gunzip aren't really there.

The list files for ramdisk-small, ramdisk-tiny and ramdisk-big
(1.5.1_ALPHA under i386) all seem to indicate that gzip and gunzip are
really "cat".

There is a x_gzip -- but I have never used it and it is not included with
these disks. Look under /usr/src/distrib/utils/x_gzip. I am not sure --
but to use it, you'd need to uncomment the appropriate line in the
(desired) ramdiskbin.conf file and then change the "list" to not link
gzip/gunzip to cat and to link them to ramdiskbin instead.

Good luck,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/